Request Legal Help

FreeState Justice is currently accepting clients for the following types of cases:

  • Name changes
  • Court orders of legal gender identity
  • Expungement of criminal records

In addition, FreeState Justice will provide brief legal advice or guidance regarding the following situations:

  • Administrative gender changes, including:
    • Updating your Maryland birth certificate
    • Changing your gender with the Social Security Administration
    • Changing the gender on your passport

At this time, regular intake of new cases regarding all other matters is closed.

Thank you for your interest in FreeState Justice. Please fill out the following form with some information about your legal issue and your contact information. Someone will get back to you within 30 days. You can also call us for phone intake at (410) 625-5428 on Tuesdays between 1:00pm and 4:30pm.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Phone Number


By checking this box, I understand I am requesting help, but this does not create a representation agreement & FreeState Legal cannot promise that it will be able to place my case or provide legal assistance.
I agree

If you have a pressing legal matter regarding a matter other than the ones listed, you may find the following links to be helpful:

Maryland Legal Aid (provides low-income clients with legal assistance and representation in Family Law, Housing, and other matters)

Maryland Volunteer Lawyer Service (provides low-income clients with legal assistance and representation in Family Law and other matters)

Maryland Commission on Civil Rights (state government agency that investigates complaints of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in employment, places of public accommodation, housing, and state-licensed services)